Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Reality" TV

I'll admit I like American Idol. I like singing. I like music. It's interesting.

However, this past week, I didn't like it. The teaser commercials had Ryan Seacrest saying, "Tonight, one audition turns serious..." and a clip of Simon saying, "That was a threat." Then a quick shot of Paula, "You don't say that to people..."

I expected, when we finally got that part of the show, to hear someone say something to Simon. I know lots of people have wanted to. Something like, "Meet me outside after the auditions and I'll show you who's got talent," in a menacing voice, or something like that.

Instead, what we had was a country boy saying, "Take care and...be careful." Just kind of mumbling in embarrassment as he left.

Be careful.

Those were the words that Simon took as a threat. Obviously the differences between the British and the U.S. South is greater than I thought.

A large portion of my family says that EVERY TIME someone leaves. It's the southern equivalent of "Take care".

I don't blame Simon (and the rest of the judges) for not being up on Southern colloquialisms. But what bugs me to no end, is the way they spun it. Come on! Isn't the "reality" of reality TV not manipulated enough already?

Argghh!

(BTW - my sister sent me a message via Facebook. She actually said the same things and said them much better than I did.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaron, can you send my message to you, to Gene? Thanks, and be careful?

Anonymous said...

I guess I need to get a google/blogger account.