Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Impossible? Maybe...maybe not!

I'm re-re-re-reading a favorite old book of mine. After reading it several times over the years, something just jumped out at me last night.

In the story, a commander has just force marched his army for miles and miles to meet the enemy. When they finally finished the march, one of the commander's friends said to him that when they had started, he thought the march would be impossible.

"Why didn't you say something before we started?" the commander asked.

"Ahh, my friend, everything that is not attempted is impossible," his friend replied.

It got me thinking. How many things in our life are impossible simply because we don't attempt them? What impossible thing could I do if I just attempted it?

Get in shape?

Live out of debt?

Raise sane kids in a crazy world?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Observation Brother!!!

Today it's Open the Mouth of a River!! Check it out!

ZeroMan said...

You know, I never had any great burning desire to be a writer. When I was in high school I went to State in editorial writing and everyone assumed that I'd follow a career in writing, but I heard a vague rumor that it didn't pay well, so I did other things (cause comic shop owners make SO much money).

Anyway, I initially started sending off short stories because I would read what was currently in the various magazines and think "I could do WAY better than this!" I really thought it would be easy.

HAH!

In truth, writing is actually pretty hard. With my sensative nature and fairly fragile ego, if I had had ANY idea what I was in for, I would have likely never started.

But luckily I didn't know and now that I'm into it, the personal challange is to keep going, no matter how many rejections I get (which is LOTS).

Oddly my kids say what's impossible for me is to slow down and relax a little. So it's all relative.

Misfit in Paradise said...

I love the philosophy!

Aaron said...

Teresa - Congrats!! Talk about getting the impossible done.

ZeroMan - What?!? You mean that comic book store owners aren't independently wealthy?

Misfit - Thanks for the comment and welcome!!