Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Opposite Ends of the Spectrum

As many of you may know, I deliver pizza as a second job. You can learn a lot about people by delivering them pizza.

  • Some people answer the door while on the phone, never look you in the eye, say not one word, hand you the money, take the pizza, and close the door.
  • A LOT of people don't turn their porch light on, then when they realize that they haven't they apologize.
  • Most people don't seem to realize that if I stand there for 5 minutes waiting for them to find their money that they just A) potentially made someone else's pizza late and B) cost me money.
  • Alert to customers: I usually don't carry change for $100...sorry. Especially when your order is $11.45.
  • Teenagers don't tip. In fact, they usually want the exact change. To the penny.
  • 1 out of 10 houses either have A) mailbox numbers you can't read, B) mailboxes with missing numbers, or C) have NO mailbox at all...and this fact does not seem noteworthy to people when they place their order.
So last night I had a couple of interesting experiences:

First:
I delivered a medium pizza to a woman. Her total was $14.30. When she opened the door, she handed me the coupon she had used, a $20 bill, and said "keep the change". Think about that for a second. She went through the trouble to use a coupon to lower the price a couple of bucks, and STILL gave me the entire twenty. Very thoughtful.

Second:
I was trying to deliver a pizza to a lady who lives in a particularly difficult apartment complex to deliver to. (I won't bore you with why it is difficult.) The instructions on the ticket said, "TELL DELIVERY DRIVER TO CALL WHEN HE ARRIVES." So I did...about 5 times. I then called the Hut, and asked them to call her.

She immediately answered and told the person them, "Oh...I saw his calls coming in, but I didn't recognize the number."

What? She must have thought every delivery driver was issued a special "Pizza Hut Cell Phone", so when we call customers it shows Pizza Hut on the caller ID. Sheesh!

4 comments:

Jen Peplowski said...

I find this to be an interesting post...slightly distubing. I don't order pizza for the most part, but just as a good piece of information to know - what is a good tip for the pizza guy? Is it per pizza or by total order cost?

And the whole point of people never looking you in the eye or acknowledging that you're a person that just did a service for them...ugh. I try to be very intentional not to be on the phone/rude when checking out at the grocery store, the bank, restaraunts or picking up food at a fastfood or coffee shop type setting. It drives me nuts. And then people look at the employees as if they shouldn't interrupt the phone conversation they were having while in line. Uck! I hate that! What's happened to our society?

Aaron said...

Hey Jen -

Some people just tip 15% - 20%. I usually do a $2/pizza rule. The only exception is if there is a super cheap multi-pizza deal like the Pizza Mia $5 mediums, I might tip a little less per pizza.

I agree with you about the cell phone thing. I've found myself on the phone at a drive-through before and felt bad afterwards.

On a positive note, today I had another person use a coupon and give me a $20 tonight!

Anonymous said...

jim gaffigan is a comedian and he has a bit about delivery. On the phone:"yeah i like your food but i'm too lazy to go down there to get it, and oh yeah im gonna need somebody to feed me...i'll be in the tub"

Aaron said...

Yeah, Pizza Hut? This is for delivery. I'd like a large 1/3 pepperoni, 1/3 veggie, 1/3 meat lover pizza, light sauce, extra cheese, cut into square. Please bring red pepper, parmesan, napkins, plates, forks, and cups.

(pause)

There's a delivery fee?!!??