Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Monday, December 29, 2008

A Joyful Melancholy Christmas

Christmas is always somewhat of paradox for me and my family. We, as a family, love Christmas. However, it's always a little bitter-sweet.

We lost my dad on December 1st, 1999. Bad enough to lose a family member during the holidays, but Christmas we very special to my dad. He played Santa for years. If you would like, take a minute and click here to read my previous post.

Of course, we have LOTS of great memories of dad, and we always talk freely about him. At the same time, I always miss him the most during Christmas.

He played Santa many places, but he was THE Santa at our local mall for years. Just after Christmas, I had a chance (yeah!) to stop by the mall. The Santa Land display was still set up. There's a pretty green package with a plaque on it sitting just to the left of Santa's chair. In case you can't read it in the photo, the plaque says:

This Gift Box
Displayed
In Memory Of
"Santa Bob"
Bob Butler
3-11-1936 to 12-1-1999

Again, a little bitter-sweet...but it brought a small to my face to think of him.

0 comments: