Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Family Heirloom

One fine day in 1991, my wife-to-be came to my parent's home for the first time. She came to attend my childhood best friend's wedding. While she was there, I of course gave her the grand tour of my home, showed her the family scrapbooks, etc.

One of the things that I showed her was one our family heirlooms. It's a porcelain wall vase, shaped like a handfan, dipped in 24k gold. It's one of the few "fancy" things we have. My family usually goes for more of the rustic antique-type things.


I wanted to show my wife-to-be the markings on the inside where is showed that it was 24k gold, etc. So, I took it off the wall...and dropped it. That's right. I dropped it.

And. It. Broke.

Into pieces. Just a few. I was able to glue it back together, and when it is hanging on the wall you can't tell it was ever damaged. It's our family secret.

Can anyone top that story?

4 comments:

Wayward Son said...

No, I can't top that story. But I commend you on your use...

of.this.blogging.technique.

You're getting there, bro. Keep it up! :)

Aaron said...

Jeff -

Thanks for the encouragement. A lot of what I learned about blogging I learned here. Give it a read. There's some good info there.

Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

You broke it????

And I didn't Know? I've been watching Antiques Roadshow for YEARS trying to identify that "thing"!

Way to go Bro!

Aaron said...

Yes - My secret is out, Sis. I am sure it was worth thousands...BEFORE I dropped it.