Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Addiction, Addition, and Additives

(UP FRONT DISCLAIMER: I by no means intend to make light of drug and alcohol addiction. My family has dealt with both, and chemical addiction is no laughing matter.)

-----------------------------------

These are a few of my favorite things:

Favorite food: cheeseburger (preferably with mustard, pickles, and jalapenos)
Favorite other food: steak (medium rare)
Favorite other other food: anything made from potatoes that does not involve the liver of an animal

Those of you that have been with me since we started this journey (see The Seven Commandments to catch up), already know that one of the main mountains in life that I am attempting to climb is weight loss. Like I said before, my metabolism is such that, in the event of a nuclear winter, I will be the last man standing.

Now, here's the deal...and you may have already thought of this...but dealing with a bad eating habit is really, really tough. You may be saying, "But Aaron, it's not like food has addictive substances in it like drugs do." That may or may not be true, but consider this:

Let's say I am a smoker. Then one day, I decide to quit, and with the help of Chantix, I do. I never buy another pack or smoke another cigarette again. Great!!

Now, let's pretend I am addicted to (insert drug name here). Then I get help, and through much adversity, I get clean. I never touch (insert drug name here) again. Fantastic!!

Finally, let's apply that to my current problem:

One day I get serious about weight loss. So I set my mind to making a change, and I never eat another bite... Hold on!!

You have to eat!!

Asking a habitual overeater to "cut back" is very similar to telling an alcoholic, "You really ought to quit drinking so much. Let's just keep to one beer in the morning and two in the afternoon. Okay?"

I'm giving it my best go. For example, I am blogging right now instead of eating the yogurt I was going to grab earlier.

Yum...yogurt...gotta go!

2 comments:

Heidi W said...

Speak for yourself... the best weight loss plan I ever followed was to quit eating. oh, wait... they call that an eating disorder. Never mind! And besides, not eating makes the metabolism worse, and when you start again you actually gain more than before! Ugh.

I have that metabolism too. If you could get pregnant, your metabolism speeds up. I actually lost weight when I was pregnant. Then again, they haven't perfected that procedure in men yet.

Seriously though, I am where you are at too.

Aaron said...

Heidi -

Sometimes when I try to get up from a low chair or into a small booth at a restaurant, I feel like I'm pregnant. :)