Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Spoiler Alert!

I like movies. A lot. In fact, somebody did one of those "how many of these movies have you seen" things on Facebook, and I had seen 169 out of 239. That's quite a few in my opinion.

However, there are a fistful of movies that I recommend NO ONE see. The one thing all these movies have in common is a downer ending. If I wanted a downer ending, I'd watch the news.

I will be giving some details about the plot of each movie, so if you ever plan on watching them (in spite of the fact I am telling you now - DON'T!!), then you may want to go ahead and leave this blog. If you want, you could just go here instead. If you don't mind some spoilers, read on!

1) Pay It Forward - Haley Joel Osment (the kid from the Sixth Sense) gets this great idea. Instead of "paying people back" for the bad things they do to you, he wants to "pay it forward" whenever someone does something nice. So he spends the whole movie trying to do this. He fixes his mother up with his school teacher. Eventually his plan makes the news, as people he has paid it forward to, pay it forward to others. Then, at the very end of the movie, he tries to protect a boy from a bully and gets stabbed and killed. I kid you not. Do not watch this movie.

2) My Girl - Girl befriends boy. Everybody is happy. Boy gets stung by lots of bees. Boy dies. Everyone is sad. Never watch this movie.

3) Bridge to Terabithia - Same movie as My Girl except the girl dies, and it's not bees, she drowns in a creek. This movie should be avoided.

4) Message In A Bottle - Kevin Costner and Buttercup from the Princess Bride can't decide if they want to be together. Finally Kevin decides he can commit to Buttercup. He gets in his boat to sail around the point to tell her he loves her and is lost at sea. We had someone recommend this movie for a date night...on our anniversary. Seriously. This movie should be on your personal "DON'T WATCH" list.

This last movie isn't the same type of movie, but it is so bad, I had to add it.

5) Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny - I've not actually seen all of this one. It's that bad. Do not be tempted to watch this movie just so see how bad it actually is. It's really that bad. Scream and run away if someone offers to loan you this movie.

Any recommendations for me to avoid?

10 comments:

Wayward Son said...

First, can I comment on your do-not-watch list? (I'm going to anyway, so you might as well say yes...) :)

#1--Yeah, sad, but sort of liked it anyway.

#3--This is one of The Director's all-time-favorite movies; he was deeply moved by it, probably because he related to the imaginary world thing. Probably the biggest issue with it was that it was not billed as a drama, and people generally don't like it when a movie is misrepresented. No one saw the death coming.

I agree with #s 2,4, and 5. I, too, have never seen 5.

To add to your list:

"Borat"--never saw it, won't see it.

"10,000 B.C."--unrealistic story, scientifically/historically inaccurate, and stupid. Don't waste your time.

"Wanted"--absolutely nothing redemptive about it. Yuck.

"City of Ember"--again, a time-waster.

"Australia"--could have ended an hour sooner.

"Pirates of the Caribbean 3"--plot gets so confusing it's almost impossible to unravel. (They should have stopped at 1.)

"Eragon"--This is basically Star Wars dressed up in fantasy garb. Just watch Star Wars.

Anonymous said...

Seven Pounds. I was curled in the fetal position from the 3rd scene on. People either love it or hate it, but I was too busy being continually depressed to have any appreciation for the finer cinematic elements.

Anonymous said...

Castaway. Its all about a guy on a deserted island. It took half the movie for him to even get there..at which point I decided to desert the movie itself.

Misfit in Paradise said...

Wow. You are so very, very wrong about Pay It Forward! What a great movie that was.
Jeff McQ - I have to agree with you about Borat but I thought Wanted was a lot of fun.
I think You Don't Mess With the Zohan was horrible. I can't swear for sure since I could only stand 15 minutes of Adam Sandler humping everything in sight.

Jen Peplowski said...

Pay it Forward was a good movie, though it's sad! Just because of the ending does it make American History X any less worthwhile to see?

Anyways, here's a couple:
Forces of Nature: even if you want to see a chic flic, this is horrible.

And what's the one with Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler...he has a daughter and she works in an adult film store or something?! That one too! :)

Aaron said...

Jeff - I think #1, #2, and #3 were all moving. Still don't like them. They make me sad. :)

10,000 B.C. - should have been 10k mistakes to make in one movie

I actually read Eragon before I saw the movie. Book is pretty okay. Written by a 17 year old I think.

-----
Portia - First, thanks for commenting!!

Seven Pounds - Haven't seen it.
Castaway - I agree. Everyone made a big deal about before I had a chance to watch it. Am I a fan? Not so much.

-----
Misfit & Jen - Pay It Forward is a great movie...until the last 10 minutes. I haven't seen American History X, but if it ends with the main character that I have come to love dyin'...I don't wanna. :)

Cathy said...

Aaron - I totally agree with you on all counts! I did not watch it, but Tom said that "No Country for Old Men" had a horrible ending. He moaned about it for days. Also, "The Mist"... HORRIBLE ending - Man escapes into the "mist" with 3 other people and the car breaks down or runs out of gas. Convinced that they will all die anyway, he shoots the other three in the car, just as the mist begins to clear and the "cavalry" arrives to save the day. Senseless... totally senseless.

Aaron said...

Cathy - I'll avoid No Country for Old Men.

I saw the Mist, and absolutely detested the ending. I'm not a Stephen King fan like I used to be, I still like the Mist. But not the ending on the movie. The ending in the short story was my favorite part it.

Anonymous said...

The Day After - or, I think that's what it's called. It's after a nuclear attack.... I suppose it's fairly accurate, but it's rediculously long, and horrible in that everyone dies anyway.

and I totally agree on 10,000 BC - which is sad. I had a lot of hopes for that movie.

also, Ketchum's(i think) The Girl Next Door - it's supposedly based on a true story, which makes it even worse. About this lady who goes crazy and tortures her young nieces.... it was sickening, and not in the usual gorey scary movie way.

there were lots more, but that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Aaron said...

Marlena -

The Day After = STUPID

And that one movie was based on a true story. Didn't see it. Don't want to!!