Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

It's Not At All Like Riding a Bicycle

Today I got some new running shoes. Actually, they're the first running shoes I've ever owned.  They seem comfortable.  Hopefully they will help me with my gait.

"What's wrong with your gate?" you ask.

"No, not my gate, my GAIT.  G-A-I-T, as in the way I run," I reply.

"Oh!" you exclaim.  "How could I have been so silly.  Of course that's what you meant.  So, what's wrong with your gait?"

Glad you asked.

The problem is that the last time I really ran the year ended with '00'.  It's been over ten years.  My body, in a lot of ways, has forgotten how to run.  During a 100 yard run, I''ll go from tight shoulder to loose shoulders, running on my toes to running on my heels, swinging my arms wildly (okay, not that wildly) to holding my arms close to my sides, clenched fist to a relaxed hand...and every combination of these.

I'm really have to re-learn how to run.  It is definitely NOT like riding a bicycle.  When I started running, I could feel muscles I hadn't used in years working, stretching, doing what they are designed to do.  Which is why I think I know how to solve this problem, though...

Keep doing it until I get it right!

-----

To all you runners out there:  any tips?

2 comments:

none said...

Rhythm is my tip. If you can focus on getting the arms in sync (since they are the easiest to see while running) the rest of the body will follow.

Aaron said...

Thanks Josh, I'll try to think about getting a good rhythm with my arms.