Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Healthier Is Possible

Due to some unforeseen circumstances this weekend, we ended up eating out a couple of times that we hadn't planned on.  Usually when we eat out, it's fast food.  Burgers and fries, Taco Bell, or maybe a sub sandwich.  Before, my plan was always to get the most food for my money.  The bigger the better.  But now, I eat differently.  Here's a couple of examples.

SUBWAY BEFORE:
12" Meatball sub on wheat with salt & pepper, oregano, cheese, mustard, pickles, and black olives
1460 calories (300 for a soft drink)

SUBWAY NOW:
6" roast beef on 9 grain whole wheat with s[icy mustard, pepper jack cheese, cucumber, banana peppers, black olives, pickles (lots and lots of pickles), bell pepper, salt (just a little) and pepper (a little more), and LOTS of oregano
420 calories


McDONALDS BEFORE:
Double quarter-pounder with cheese and large fries
1240 calories (230 for sweet tea)

McDONALDS AFTER:
McDouble and small fries
620 calories

Today I had Arby's.  We love Arby's.  In the past I would get the LARGE roast beef sandwich with a  LARGE order of curly fries.  Add in a LARGE Dr. Pepper, and you have around 1,500 calories and a LARGE Aaron.  (And I would usually finish Nathanael's, too.)

I got a medium roast beef sandwich today, and only ate half the bun (which is where half the calories and all the sugar resides).  My fries were also a medium, and I only ate half of them as well.  I learned my lesson.  I would have been satisfied with a small.

I'm beginning to understand that while it may be impossible to eat "healthy" everywhere, it is possible to make healthIER choices.

-----

So, I'm encouraging you (and myself), if you have to eat out tomorrow, make healthier choices, no matter where you go!

0 comments: