Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Good Day

One day, when I was about 10 (I think), I woke up early in the morning. My dad left for work very early, and I could always tell that I was up too early if he was still there. That morning, I found dad and mom at the kitchen counter eating breakfast.


I stumbled in and sat down. I'm sure I started helping myself to whatever was on the table. Mom stepped out of the room for a few minutes and then came back. She told me to put on some old clothes.

When I asked her why, she responded by saying that I wasn't going to school that day. She had just phoned my best friend's mom and gotten her okay for my mom to take both of us to the reservoir fishing for the day. I stood there with my mouth open for a few minutes, then ran to my room and got dressed.

Why did she do that? When you are ten and your mom says you can skip school and go fishing, you don't ask questions (and I still haven't), so I don't know particularly. However, even though I don't remember the details (how many fish we caught (if any), how long we were there, etc.), I remember the fact that she did this. It was awesome. She was the coolest mom in the world (and still is). That simple act of her spending the day with me definitely made me feel loved.

FYI, it was the only time I ever skipped to school to go fishing, but I'll always have that as one of my favorite memories.

It was a good day.

0 comments: