Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Chicken Anyone?

It's late...I should be in bed...but I've been laughing to myself about this all day...


If you spend much time with me, you'll learn that I am allergic to chicken.  All poultry, in fact.  I always jokingly say that's why they call it fowl.  Haha.  I don't go into anaphylactic shock or anything like that, but it definitely does NOT agree with me.

That being said, of course chicken (and turkey) is so ubiquitous, I have to be careful eating out. Even soups are usually on the "no thanks" list because so many of them use chicken stock as a base.

So today, when the new management of our building had a "Get To Know Us" breakfast for all the tenants, I ran into this situation again.  They had "vegetable breakfast burritos", and just plain "breakfast burritos".  The conversation went something like this:

Me:  "Excuse me...what's in the breakfast burritos?"

Server:  "Meat, cheese...uh...um...tomatoes I think."

Me:  "I'm allergic to poultry.  Do you know what kind of meat it is?"

Server:  "Sausage."

Okay.  Ever of heard of people putting turkey in their sausage to lean it up and make it healthier?  I sure have.  Sausage is not a "meat", it is a "meat product"...sometimes it is a "meat BY-product".  You never hear a rancher say, "Yeah, I've got 50 head of cattle on the back 40 acres, and 100 head of sausage on the front 40."

Me:  "Do you know if there is any turkey or chicken in it?"

Server:  "I'm not sure..."

Lady behind me in line:  "There's probably not any turkey in it..."

Apparently she had no problem risking MY health.  I think she just wanted me to quit slowing the line down.  So I grabbed one of each and headed back to my desk.

It was ham.

2 comments:

Wayward Son said...

Dude, that was a close one. Glad you made it through okay.

We don't do turkey sausage, but sometimes we do ground turkey as a substitute for ground beef in hamburger dishes. They cook up almost the same, and you can hardly taste the difference. And (in my case) it's healthier.

Just something else you need to watch out for now. That poultry is just plain sneaky.

(Oh, and I wouldn't recommend going to Costa Rica. The chickens run wild there.....) :D

Aaron said...

Jeff-

I hate sneaky poultry.