Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

I've Been Set Free!


When we moved into our current residence back in April, we were sad to find out that we had too many trees for us to continue our DirecTV service. So we lost the NFL Sunday Ticket, which made my wife very sad, and we switched to cable. Charter Cable, to be exact.

Charter had been our internet provider for over a year, and I was pretty satisfied with the level of service we had received so far. However, when we tried to get a HD DVR (that's a high-definition digital video recorder, for the less tech-savvy out there) through them, it took them over a month to get it right. I won't bore you with all the details and the hassles that we went through. Suffice it to say, at the end of it, they gave us some significant discounts to make up for all the problems.

Well, the season of our discounts is over, and our Charter bill last month for cable television and internet access was...(drumroll)...$166!!! What?!?! That's crazy, you say? That's what I said. For someone making minimum wage, that's a serious chunk of change.

So, I went to Home Depot's website and found a nice little antenna and purchased it. Today, my friend Joshua came over and we installed it. So, as I am typing this, I am watching the Cowboys get beat by the Redskins in full 1080i HD on broadcast television...and it is free. That's right folks. Free.

My next project is a home-grown DVR.

I've been set free! From cable, that is. Viva la Antenna!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Check out MythTV. It's not for the technologically weak at heart, and it can get a bit pricey depending on the hardware you use, but I think it's right up your alley.

http://www.mythtv.org/

Aaron said...

Cool Mark, I will definitely check it out. And, it was nice chatting today.