Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Quit Shakin' Dice!

My good friend Kenny Scruggs is a talker. He'll admit it. I'm not talking behind his back or anything. Any of you that know me personally know that I'm a talker, too. But I think Kenny may have a notch or two on me.

Now, our families have spent quite a bit of time together. We both like to play games of all types, so there's been many an evening where we've played this game or that.

When it would get around to Kenny's turn, he usually wasn't quite ready to go...usually because he had been talking (usually to me). Then to compound the issue, he would pick up the dice (assuming we were playing a game that used dice), start shaking them, and then proceed to finish (or start) a story. It was usually at this point, one or both of our wives (or someone else that happened to be playing) would, say, "Go Kenny!", and he would go ahead and take his turn.

So today, I give you my latest addition to English colloquialisms:

"Quit shakin' dice and go!" Of course, you could replace the word "go" with whatever you wish the person would do. Alternatively, it could be, "Come on! Quit shakin' dice!"

I suppose it is similar to "fish or cut bait". What do you think?

I think it could be used anytime, but would be most appropriate when the offending party was talking. I don't know...it may not catch on, but I'm going to try to use it a couple of times this week.

0 comments: