Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Thursday, June 5, 2008

MCs - not Hammer, but in General


MCs. You know, the people that come out and introduce whomever or whatever you are actually there to see. It's a tough job. I've done it lots of times. The audience is usually just waiting for you to get off of the stage and for Bono to get up there.

Why is it then, that they feel the need to use they same phrases worn out phrases in an attempt to "hype" things up? Is there a special MC school? I think that's going to be my new moniker: MC Skool. But I digress.


---

Example 1: "I wanna give a shout out to..."

You don't have to shout, you have a microphone. Just tell us the people you would like to recognize and/or say hello to.

---

Example 2: "C'mon everybody, puts your hands together for..."

This one's not too bad, but still, there are probably better ways to say it.

---

Example 3: "Everybody give it up for..."

My least favorite. First, I would like the MC to clearly state what "it" is so I can decide if I want to give it up. Secondly, I would like some well-defined reasons as to why I should give it up. That's not too much to ask, is it?

---

Example 4: ....

There was another one that really annoyed me the other night. If I can remember it, I'll edit this post and add it.

Peace out, yo!


*********************************

Okay, I'm back....

Example 5: "The next act/person/band bringin' it to the stage..." (Jeff added example 4 in his comment.)

Another example of "it". I would prefer they bring their act, or talent, or something definable. "It" scares me.

3 comments:

Wayward Son said...

Example 4: When the MC claims to be the featured act. (Remember Darrell Evans?)
:)

Aaron said...

I don't remember...but then again, I am very tired right now. Can you refresh my memory via comment or email?

Wayward Son said...

Worship conference '98. I MC'd Darrell's concert the last night, and trying to be funny, I announced that I was Darrell Evans and tried to call the band to the platform. Then Clint in the sound booth said over the mike, "I don't think so, Jeff."

Understandable if you don't remember. It didn't happen to you. :) But MCs should probably not do that.