Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Friday, June 6, 2008

It's Africa Hot!!


Summer is finally here in Atlanta. It didn't help that it rained just enough to make it approach 100% humidity.

Being a man of substantial girth (read: fat), the heat is not my friend. If it is warm, I sweat. If it is very warm, I sweat a lot. High humidity only makes it worse.

Today I was privileged to go to a Braves game in one of the big fancy executive suites with all of the food and drink provided. The pizza was especially good, by the way. While we were there not watching the game, it started to pour. It rained just enough so that when we walked to the van afterwards, it felt like I was taking a shower with my clothes on. Yuck!

Now I am home, and my friendly A/C unit is set on 68 degrees Fahrenheit and is dutifully working to pull all the moisture from the air and my body. Yeah!!

I always think of that line from Biloxi Blues when I'm hot. You know the one. Matthew Broderick, playing Jerome, says of Biloxi:

Man it's hot. It's like Africa hot. Tarzan couldn't take this kind of hot.
And when I think of that line, I laugh to myself, and feel just a little cooler...

Not really. It doesn't help at all. I'm still hot.

2 comments:

David Seigler said...

Well, now I bet you're kicking yourself for leaving Texas - where it's NEVER HOT!

Of course, hot is relative. When I first moved to California, I was asked why I left Texas. I listed several things, and one of them was the heat. The people there (in Sacramento) laughed loudly. As far as they were concerned, it was as hot in Sacramento as anywhere in the world.

It DID get to the high 90's and the occasional 100 degrees. BUT - with almost no humidity. BIG difference.

So it's all reletive. Which begs the question: Is Africa hot dry heat?

Aaron said...

Well Z-man, apparently, it's not too bad over there. Today in Nairobi, Kenya, the temperate is a balmy 59 degrees Fahrenheit with 67% humidity...

While our high in Atlanta yesterday was 98!

However, a quick search for "highest average humidity" revealed something. On the website I found, 25 of the top 50 cities (with populations of 50,000+) with the highest average humidity...are in Texas.

Imagine that!