Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Humbling Experience

The other day, I attended the funeral of the grandfather of one of our close friends. He was himself a dear friend of ours, and a wonderful man. He had served in the United States Marine Corps when he was a young man, so he received a military funeral. There was a team of young Marines there that carried the casket, folded the flag, presented it to his wife, etc.

George Tyler, one of the elder statesmen of our church, was also at the funeral. He was in his mid-eighties, but still pretty spry. In the hallway after the service, he walked up to one of the young marines and told him that he had served in the Marines, what division he had served in, and in what theater of war.

I didn't know that George had served in the Marines, and I thought to myself, "Hey, that's cool. Very interesting, George."

I expected the young Marine (he was probably 20, or 21 years old at the most) would say something along the same lines. Instead, he reached out, shook George's hand, looked him in the eye and said, "Thank you."

I was humbled. He got it. He understood the sacrifice that every person that joins our military makes. My nephew Travis is serving with the USMC in Iraq right now. So, even though it's not Veteran's Day or Memorial Day, I would just like to take this opportunity to say thanks.

To everyone that has served our country in the military, past or present, thank you.

0 comments: