Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Shifting Gears

When I was about 4, I used to ride on our John Deere lawn mower with my older sister while she mowed the yard.

On a side note, people make me laugh when they call their lawn mowers "lawn tractors". I don't know...I guess it's because I've driven lots of tractors, and anything you can load in the back of a pickup is not a tractor.

On another side note, I always say that I "mowed the yard". I never "cut the grass" or "mow the lawn". I always mow the yard.

Back to the story...

On one particular day, my sister and I were mowing the yard (not cutting the grass), and she pulled up by the house and parked. We got off the lawn mower (not tractor) and went inside for something to drink. We stayed inside for a few minutes, and I was ready to get back to work. So I got the key off of the hook and went back outside.

You see, I thought I knew how to drive the lawn mower. It was simple. You pressed down the pedal, cranked the engine, let out the pedal and drove. There was another pedal you held down to start the blades spinning. If you wanted to go backward, you pressed down the pedal, looked backwards, let the pedal out and started going backwards.

Of course, all this time what I HADN'T seen was my sister reaching down on the side and changing the gear from forward to reverse. One small, but vital, piece of info.

So, I climbed up in the seat and pushed down the pedal. I stuck the key in ignition and cranked it up. I turned and looked back behind me, let out the pedal...and promptly ran the lawn mower into the side of the house.

5 comments:

steve e said...

reminds me of "cargo cult" thinking, in WW II many small islands were used in the supply line for the military effort. Soldiers would build a control tower and start landing planes, when they arrived they had supplies, some of which they would give to the native population. The war ended or the lines moved and the towers were taken down for scrap. Years later the islands were revisited and elaborate bamboo and grassy control towers had been erected complete with bamboo headsets. Just looking at something and assuming you know something about it leads to this kind of strangeness and apparent irrationality. For further examples see arron's post, psychology, sociology, education in america and most politicians.

Misfit in Paradise said...

Okay wise guy, I have 2 TRACTORS. One is an Allis Chalmers and the other is a White Gsrden Tractor. They BOTH have the same amount of horsepower. So say what you want but I will still call them my big tractor and my little tractor!

On another note, have you heard the band Red?

Aaron said...

Steve -

The John Frum Cargo Cult of Vanuata is very interesting and still alive and kicking.

Misfit -

When I mowed with a tractor growing up, I pulled an 8' PTO driven mower behind my tractor. Rule of thumb...if the blades are on the belly, it's a lawn mower.

And yes, I've heard a couple of songs by Red. Are you a fan of King's X by any chance?

Misfit in Paradise said...

I haven't heard of King's X. Are they head banging stuff?

Aaron said...

Kinda. They never have made it really big, but lot's of other bands list them as an influence. I recommend any of their first 4 albums.

Out of the Silent Planet
Gretchen Goes to Nebraska
King's X
Faith, Hope, and Love