Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Simple Failure to Communicate

When we moved to Atlanta, we left all of our friends and family back in Texas. A few months after we had settled in, I struck up a conversation with a guy who had recently relocated from Long Island to Atlanta.

After talking a bit, I found out that his family was still in New York and that he worked right across the street from me at the Home Depot corporate office. To top it off, we had several common interests. I could only imagine how tough it would have been if I would have had to move to Atlanta ahead of my family, so I decided on a whim to give him one of my business cards and an open invitation for lunch or dinner. I was pleasantly surprised when he contacted me a couple of days later about dinner.

We exchanged a couple of emails, and that's where it happened. Here's a segment of the conversation.

Me: ...we'll see you about 6:00 then.

Him: Would you like me to bring a pie? I can pick one up at Costco's after work.

Me: Sure, a pie would be great!

Him: What kind of pie do you guys like?

Me: I like chocolate, but I'm not a fan of pecan. Cheryl likes anything.

Him: Uhhh...I usually prefer pepperoni...

So, apparently, "up there" in New York, pie can mean pizza. If that's true, what do they call "real" pie?

Have you ever had a "regional translation error"?

7 comments:

Wayward Son said...

Umm...I was an uber-northerner who moved to East Texas. Let's see...

...oh. I once told a friend to "shut up" and almost got myself decked. :)

Where I grew up, "shut up" meant almost nothing; we said it to each other all the time. Apparently in parts of the South, it is considered to be highly offensive.

I'm more careful now. ;)

Misfit in Paradise said...

I had never heard of 'dry land fishing' until I moved to Kentucky. Dry land fish are morel mushrooms.

Aaron said...

Jeff -

Just for the record, I wasn't going to deck you. A belly-to-back suplex slam on the concrete floor? Maybe. But deck you? No way. I might bruise my hand. :)

Misfit -

Never heard of "dry land fishing". Kentucky's a mid-state to me...so is dry land fishing a north or south thing?

Wayward Son said...

Weren't you also afraid you might bruise your belly?

:)

Misfit in Paradise said...

Definitely not a north thing!

Aaron said...

Jeff - as you should know, I have a belly of iron. Cast iron, at that.
:)


Misfit - interesting. I've never heard of it. Of course, I consider anyone born north of Houston a yankee. ;)

Wayward Son said...

Oh, yes, I forgot.
Thank you for not body-slamming me.
:)