Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Friday, May 30, 2008

HFMD -- Doesn't sound familiar? Read on...



Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease (or HFMD) is a common childhood illness. This is not to be confused with Foot-and-mouth or Hoof-and-mouth disease that effects certain livestock. It is, however, something my son gave me.

Yeah!!

To the right is not a picture of my hand. But it could be. Yep, that's right. Fun blisters all over my hands, feet, and the back of my throat are my main symptom.

They don't itch and as long as they aren't touched, they don't hurt. Good thing that they're not on a part of my body that I have to use, for example, to write something...or maybe...walk across the room...open a door...dry off after a shower...swallow...you get the picture.

It's caused by a virus that usually runs its course in 3 to 7 days (depending on which website you use to self-diagnose). I'm about 2 days into it (and that's being generous), and it's not much fun.


Here are ten things I've done that are not much fun, but ARE more fun than having HFMD:

10. Gotten stitches.
9. Change a poopy-diarrhea diaper.
8. Stuck a screw gun into the fatty part of my hand between my thumb and first finger.
7. Marched in a 5 mile parade wearing shoes that were one size too small.
6. Given blood.
5. Gone shopping on Christmas Eve in a large mall in Arlington, Texas.
4. Gone shopping the day after Christmas in a large mall in Dallas, Texas.
3. Inoculated goats.
2. Cleaned out a septic tank.
1. Created a slide-show presentation about sexually transmitted skin diseases for the dermatologist that I worked for.

If you would like, feel free to list something you have done that was not much fun in a comment. If I have also done this thing that you list (or have a good feel for how much fun it would be), then I will reply and let you know if it was indeed more fun than having HFMD.

2 comments:

Karenkool said...

Well, yesterday my sleeve caught on the latch of the car door as I was slamming it shut, and my elbow didn't make it out in time. It's hurts like H-E-double hockey sticks, but I don't think it trumps HFMD. So sorry.

BTW, I'm visiting from Jeff's blog. He gave your blog a shout out. Woot woot!

Aaron said...

Hey Karenkool!

Thanks for stopping by. Your comment was a pleasant diversion from my virus-ridden day.

Now, to top it off, my wife was up sick ALL night! Oh well...this too shall pass.

I see on your profile that you are a music teacher. Cool! My degree is in instrumental music and my first profession was as a band director. Small blogworld, huh?

Thanks for stopping by and feel free to visit any time!