Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Hooking Up Words and Phrases and Clauses


You know, there are just certain phrases people use that drive me crazy. I don't know why. I am sure it's me, not them. And, I just want to say up front, if you use these phrases, please don't hate me. I use them myself sometimes, and I don't hate me.

Without further ado:

  1. "...take it to the next level..." - the only thing I want to take to the next level is Donkey Kong. Why is everything always about levels? Don't we ever just want to "improve"? There are so many better ways to say that something is getting better without resorting to this phrase. Please, don't use this phrase, or I may have to take my ranting "to the next level".

  2. "...get on the same page..." - there's nothing intrinsically bad with this phrase. It just bugs me. Maybe because at times there is the connotation that "Hey, I'm on the right page, why don't you get on the same page as me?" I guess it is just pride yelling.

  3. "...that's a __________ question." - This phrase is fine if the blank is filled with words like: stupid, brilliant, ignorant, redundant, or tactless. But don't put someone's name in the blank! Please just say, "That's a question for ___________".

2 comments:

Wayward Son said...

The Aaroneous questions you raise are well-put. I agree. I'm glad to see we're on the same page, so we can take the discussion to the next level.

Sorry, bro...I couldn't resist. The ball was right there...

Just having a little fun, not trying to make you mad or anything. Please don't hate me. :D

Aaron said...

As I said, I use those phrases, and I don't hate me...so why would I hate you for doing the same. That would just be silly now, wouldn't it.

:)