Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Gas Prices, Oil Prices, and the Media


To my loyal blog readers (both of you), my apologies. My rate-o'-blogging has decreased dramatically with my new job, and my injury at my new job (which, by the way, is mostly better now...thanks for asking).

(Aaron steps up onto soapbox.)

So here' what I'm talking about tonight: GAS PRICES and the MEDIA!!! (Yes, it has to be in CAPS, because that's the way they announce things.)

Wow. One of the media's favorite topics in Atlanta is gas prices. I am sure that it's the same other places, but I don't read the Tulsa Times (sorry Jeff). This past week, with Hurricane Ike coming in, they began to announce things like:

  • Gas Prices May Climb to $5.00/gallon!!
  • Georgia Only Has Three Day Supply of Fuel
  • Texas Refineries Shutting Down Due to Approaching Hurricane

So what did people do? They went to the gas station as quickly as they could and filled up. Lots of people. And guess what, wouldn'tcha know...some stations ran out of gas. Gas stations took advantage of it and raised their prices some, also. Imagine that. Thing is, though, no one is doing any more driving this week than they would have. Why did everyone need that extra gas they just "had to have"?

True, there are some stations around with their pump handles covered, so some stations did run out of gas. Of course, about 2 miles away is a station with gas for $3.79...a whopping .15 more a gallon than before the "scare". Heck, even the media is blaming the media.

I just think it is crazy that if a person with a microphone says there' s a chance of something happening, everyone acts on it like it's fact. And, just because there's a chance it could happen, it's no reason to broadcast the worst-case scenario. It's a great way to start a self-fulfilling prophecy, though!

Below are some example headlines of what the media HAS said, along with things that the media COULD say, if they wanted...because they are just as true.

------------

Example 1:
Gas prices could soar above $5 per gallon with the effects of Hurricane Ike.

Alternative headline:
Miniature schnauzers could spontaneously combust if dipped in lighter fluid.

My take: I'm not gonna fill my car up, and I'm not going to trade my schnauzer in on a less combustible canine.

------------

Example 2:
With only a 3 day supply of fuel in Georgia, many stations could begin to run low.

Alternative headline:
With most grocery stores only carrying 10 pounds of bratwurst, a run on a particular store could cause a shortage.

My take: I'd be more worried about the bratwurst. You can never have too much bratwurst.

------------

Example 3:
Refined gas could possibly be in short supply due to damage to refineries in Texas from Ike.

Alternative headline:
The mullet could possibly be the next in retro look.

My take: Almost any statement can be made true if throw in the words "could possibly". As in, I "could possibly" quit listening to the media entirely if they keep saying stupid things like they did this weekend.

---------

(Aaron steps down off of soapbox.)

3 comments:

Wayward Son said...

Um...that's "Tulsa World", not Tulsa Times. I think you're thinking of a country song....

Way to use that soapbox, bro. I also despise when the media create a crisis just by sensationalizing stuff. And guess what? Not one report so far of any damage to the pipelines.

What did the press say about Cocker Spaniels?

Good to hear from you again...I was wondering. And glad you are better.

Heidi W said...

I'm glad you are better, and it is great to see you back up on that soapbox! :)

I hate gasoline. I remember when it was 99 cents a gallon... and we used to have to walk 10 miles to school, uphill both ways in the snow in our barefeet dodging dinosaurs and covered wagons...

Oh... I sincerely hope your schnauzer makes it. Maybe you should feed the dog the bratwurst and get yourself the mullet, and hope it all works out ok in the end.

(seriously though, I've never had bratwurst...although we had a mini schnauzer, and my husband used to have a mullet)

Is it my imagination or am I losing it? I've been leaving the strangest comments lately.... maybe its time for some good medication and a padded room...

Aaron said...

Jeff -

Thanks! I've been pretty busy juggling the two jobs and all. It's really cut into my blogging time.

As to the Cockers...no word as of yet.


Heidi -

As always, a pleasure to hear from you. My mom actually told me yesterday when we discussing the fact that her power was still out, "It's okay...I lived until I was 16 without electricity and running water, surely I can do it for a few days again."

At least she didn't mention walking uphill in the snow...