Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

What's an HbA1c?

What's an HbA1c?  If you're a diabetic, or know one, you probably already know.  If you don't, I'll tell you.

Glycated hemoglobin (glycosylated hemoglobin, hemoglobin A1c, HbA1c, A1C, or Hb1c; sometimes also HbA1c) is a form of hemoglobin used primarily to identify the average plasma glucose concentration over prolonged periods of time. It is formed in a non-enzymatic pathway by hemoglobin's normal exposure to high plasma levels of glucose.

That's a mouthful.  The upshot of the above paragraph is that a person's HbA1c is a pretty good indicator of their average blood glucose levels for the past three months or so.  A1c levels between 4.0 and 5.9 are typically considered healthy.  An A1c level of 7.0 or higher (and now some are saying 6.5) is one of the key diagnostics for diabetes.

On December 10th, 2009, I had my HbA1c done for the first time.  It came back as a 6.7.   I went online and did some research and found out that 7.0 was kind of the cut-off mark for diabetes.

I thought to myself, "Wow! That's not too good.  I really need to start getting in shape."

Six months went by.  As part of my employee physical I had my A1c done again.  This time:  6.9.  That's right, it went up!

That surprised me...and yet it didn't.  I hadn't changed my lifestyle in any way.  My blood sugar levels had probably been steadily creeping up over the years.  Both my parents had at times bordered on diabetic.  They mostly controlled it by controlling their weight and watching what they ate, so I had always know that I was at risk.

This time, I really made a decision.  I declared WAR!! on sugar.  No more sweet tea, no more Dr. Pepper, no more white bread, rice, or potatoes.  I cut back on my portions.

So...here I am three months later.  Fifty pounds lighter.  Friday, I had blood drawn and some lab work done. Today I got my results.

5.3!!    Five.point.three!!

I really made a change.  All the exercise and eating healthier made a difference.  A measurable, quantifiable difference...in only 3 months.

-----

What healthy changes do you want to make?  You can effect those changes the same way I did.  One day at a time...one meal at a time.  String a bunch of those days together and what happens?  Your HbA1c goes from 6.9 to a 5.3.

You can do it, too!

0 comments: