Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Redneck Sledding

Last night, in case you haven't heard, Georgia was covered with a blanket of beautiful white snow.  At Casa de Butler, we personally got 5+ inches.  It's awesome.


Today happens to be one of my regular exercise days.  The sidewalks are ice.  The gym is my normal bad weather option, but the roads are "officially unsafe", so I didn't feel like I could really head down there either.  So...options?  It's obvious, isn't it?

I put on my cold weather gear and headed outside to run in the snow in my yard.  Because of my habit of wearing shorts year-round, you may find yourself surprised that I own "cold weather gear".   Well, I do.  Here's the breakdown of my sub-arctic wardrobe:
  • ski-mask (a gift from my wife)
  • knit gloves (not the best for snow, but they help a little)
  • long sleeve t-shirt (I got if for doing the Gobble Jog 5k)
  • sleeveless t-shirt (custom, it originally had sleeves)
  • Captain America Wal-mart hoodie (only for when it is sub-0 and I am going to be outside for an extended time)
  • sweat pants (hand-me-downs from my buddy Don)
  • tennis shoes covered with 1 gallon Ziploc bags, held in place with duct tape
I was absolutely toasty!

I headed out in the yard and started running around the yard.  It was hard work!  The snow had a nice 1/2" crust on the top that I had to break through.  I had run while it WAS snowing, but it was the first time I had ever run IN the snow.

I was only out there a few minutes when my son joined me.  We grabbed a big Rubbermaid tub, tied a tow rope around it, and BAM!  Redneck sled.  I drug him all over the yard.  The only problem was that the bottom of the tub didn't have quite enough surface area, so unless I pulled up as well as forward, the front of the tub would break through the ice and our sled turned into an ice-breaker.  That led to him getting dumped out on any corner.  

This just confirms that winter weather is the best weather ever!

1 comments:

Misfit in Paradise said...

You have more snow than we do! But, I AM NOT JEALOUS. Feel free to keep our share too.