Hey you!! Why not be a subscriber? Just click here.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

You May Have Missed These

Since my last post was about a movie, I thought I would follow up with a short list of movies that I've always enjoyed that you might have missed. Here we go!

Roxanne (PG - 1987) - A modern-day retelling of the tale of Cyrano de Bergerac, Steve Martin plays the leading man, with Darryl Hannah in the title role. This is a light, romantic comedy, with just enough stupidity to for my sense of humor. My favorite scene involves a tennis racket, two jerks, and Steve Martin. "Earn more sessions by sleaving!" Wonder what that means? Watch the movie!

Serenity (PG13 - 2005) - Like westerns? Like sci-fi? Like comedy? Like action? A little romance? Written by Josh Whedon, this movie has it all. Set in the future, this movie feels like a western in space. The main group of characters are great, the dialogue is catchy, and the plot will keep you interested until the end. If you watch it and like it, go back and watch the series that preceeded it: Firefly. Didn't make a big splash at the box office, but if you like sci-fi at all, you'll like this.

That Thing You Do (PG - 1996) - Tom Hanks wrote, directed, and starred in this wonderful movie. It's not a musical, but about a band in the '60's, this movie is chock full of great songs. There's a great ensemble cast, but I recommend as you watch it and that you pay special attention to every line that Lenny (Steve Zahn, one of my all-time favorites) says. Recognizables in the cast are Liv Tyler, along with a significant appearance by a young up-and-coming starlet named Charlize Theron. You may have heard of her. Kevin Pollock, Peter Scolari, Rita Wilson (Tom Hank's wife), Chris Isaak and Clint Howard (Ron's younger brother) make cameos.

Sneakers (PG13 - 1992) - It's no secret this is a great movie! Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, Dan Akroyd, River Phoenix, David Straithairn, Ben Kingsley, Mary McDonnell and a surprise cameo (I guess it's not a surprise anymore) by James Earl Jones...need I say more? That's a pretty rockin' cast for an espionage movie. Smart, funny, and not too full of itself, this is a very enjoyable movie. The plot keeps you guessing and the final act at the end is great.

Well, there's my list. I'd like to think there's something for everyone. Let me know what you think.

Any recommendations for me? I'm always looking for a good movie!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't seen Serenity, but the others are all on my list of favorites as well.

Wayward Son said...

That Thing You Do is probably second on my list of most-quoted movies. (Princess Bride is obviously 1st...)

Here are a couple of movie picks...

"Copying Beethoven"--not a huge box-office one, but good for people with musical interests. :)

"Signs"--Shyamalan's last great movie, in my opinion.

"Walk the Line." Just see it, if you haven't.

"3:10 to Yuma" (the new one, not the classic)--a bit violent, but has two of my favorite actors together...Russell Crowe & Christian Bale.

Aaron said...

Mark - definitely watch "Serenity"!

Jeff - I'll have to check out "Copying Beethoven". The "Walk the Line" and "3:10" were both enjoyable. But I really enjoyed "Signs". I like any "scary" movie that doesn't involve hockey masks, axes, boiler rooms, and campgrounds.

Misfit in Paradise said...

But, you left out I Love You To Death!

Aaron said...

Read the synopsis of "I Love You To Death"...definitely going to have to watch it.

Misfit in Paradise said...

An award for you on my Paradise blog.

Kate said...

Hey! I stumbled over from Misfit's blog!
Just wanted to say that I, too, LOVE "That Thing You Do." Totally adorable. :)

See you soon, off to work I go!
-kate

Aaron said...

Kate - welcome! Anyone that likes TTYD is cool in my book!